• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polish Club - why better?

#41 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-June-08, 09:03

luke warm, on Jun 8 2004, 09:58 AM, said:

just that it seems to simplify 2/1 bidding (for me), since the nt rebid ranges seem to lend themselves very well to 2 way ckback bidding.. that's just one reason, but for me a big one

This i dont understand.
playing weak NT , you already covered 12-14 so you dont need to worry about it when you open 1x.
playing strong NT , you already covered 15-17 so you dont have to worry about it when you open 1x.
playing 10-12 you have more balance hands to worry about after biddint 1x, so how can it be eaiser ?

#42 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-June-08, 09:06

cwiggins, on Jun 6 2004, 11:14 PM, said:

I found the following at http://www.ipipan.wa...lub/ankieta.htm

Kowalski echoes some of the comments in this thread that Polish and Precision are close.

What is your opinion about the effectiveness of Polish Club comparing with other general bidding systems (Standard American, Precision, Canape, different Italian Clubs and Diamonds)?

Apolinary Kowalski
In my opinion Polish Club is superior in this respect to above mentioned foreign bidding systems except perhaps Precision. However Precision is more vulnerable to interventions, than Polish Club is.

Krzysztof Martens
The main criterion to evaluate the bidding system is how it fulfills certain postulates of the natural bidding. In the modern bridge high culture of the bidding (especially while fighting) is much more important that a bit better or bit worse construction of the basic system.

Julian Klukowski
I am quite certain that Polish Club is more effective than any other foreign system known to me.

Stanislaw Bitner
I think the question is ill defined. Every bidding system is effective provided it is based on logical premises and handles some 80% distributions (hands) to be faced with in the course of bidding. If two partners achieved perfect understanding they can successfully compete with the pair playing any other system but lacking such understanding.

I read this article, but i am guessing those guys are polish and knowing one polish guy , i cant tell you they arent objective, the guy i know think everything in poland is better , especially the women.

#43 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-June-08, 09:17

i think you have a good point playing 12-14, but i'm not sure if 15-17... the same can be said about 10-13, eh? 1x is almost always 14+ (or distributional) and 1nt *does* have a preemptive effect... also, the mini is sure a lot of fun to play, tho i understand that "fun" is relative heheh
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#44 User is offline   cwiggins 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-June-08, 23:08

Flame, on Jun 8 2004, 03:06 PM, said:

cwiggins, on Jun 6 2004, 11:14 PM, said:

I found the following at http://www.ipipan.wa...lub/ankieta.htm

Kowalski echoes some of the comments in this thread that Polish and Precision are close. 

What is your opinion about the effectiveness of Polish Club comparing with other general bidding systems (Standard American, Precision, Canape, different Italian Clubs and Diamonds)?

Apolinary Kowalski
In my opinion Polish Club is superior in this respect to above mentioned foreign bidding systems except perhaps Precision. However Precision is more vulnerable to interventions, than Polish Club is.

Krzysztof Martens
The main criterion to evaluate the bidding system is how it fulfills certain postulates of the natural bidding. In the modern bridge high culture of the bidding (especially while fighting) is much more important that a bit better or bit worse construction of the basic system.

Julian Klukowski
I am quite certain that Polish Club is more effective than any other foreign system known to me.

Stanislaw Bitner
I think the question is ill defined. Every bidding system is effective provided it is based on logical premises and handles some 80% distributions (hands) to be faced with in the course of bidding. If two partners achieved perfect understanding they can successfully compete with the pair playing any other system but lacking such understanding.

I read this article, but i am guessing those guys are polish and knowing one polish guy , i cant tell you they arent objective, the guy i know think everything in poland is better , especially the women.

This is what I would expect, that they would think Polish is better.

Given that natural predisposition, I found it interesting that Kowalski thought that Polish and Precision are close.

I also found interestig what Bitner said: "Every bidding system is effective provided it is based on logical premises and handles some 80% distributions (hands) to be faced with in the course of bidding." Wouldn't most modern bidding systems meet that criteria?

I.e. persons you would expect to say Polish is a better system were not clear cut on that point.

I included the other experts for completeness. I find little value in unsupported statements that "x is better" whether x is Polish, Precision, 2/1, Moscito, etc.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users