BBO Discussion Forums: Music recommendations - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Music recommendations different from the usual radio singsang

#1 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-April-13, 10:45

I am so fed up with the usual songs they play on the radio: everyday the same songs performers, style, sometimes the wellknown oldies in between. They call them HITs but they MAKE them to those with endless repetitions; and people go and buy that :) One can switch to classic radio, but also there you hear often the same pieces. It is hard to find good music on air, but it exists. I know that it is a question of definition, taste is different. We have already some music threads where people expressed what they hear playing online bridge, or in which mood they are at the moment. In this thread I would like to describe or read about music and artists that are not known by everyone because they are rarely played anywhere else than at home, as well as why you like the music (the interpretation is special like piano played by Murray Perhia, or the voice of someone turns you on, somebody had a new idea of mixing instruments like Glen Miller had in the 40s, or whatever). Unfortunately there is often a disproportion between being "famous" (and rich) and the knowledge and ability of making really "good" (--> quality) music.
I will start with my favourites at the moment. The main style keyword might perhaps be (melodic) Jazz.

Diana Krall:
- All for you. A dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio
- The girl in the other room. Songs by her and her husband Elvis Costello
- Live in Paris
She plays fantastic the piano and sings great! The 3 CDs have each its own style.

Joni Mitchell
:
- Both sides now
This album is "a programmatic suite documenting a relationship from initial flirtation through optimistic consummation, metamorphosing into disillusionment, ironic despair, and finally resolving in the philosophical overview of acceptance and the probability of the circle repeating itself" (taken from the booklet).
I like at most No. 3 (Comes Love), No. 6 (A Case of You), No. 7 (Don't go to strangers), and of course No. 12 (Both Sides Now). No. 12 can be heard also on Diana Krall's CD "Live in Paris" :) . I like the lyrics of these songs, and Joni Mitchells transmits the message. This CD is great when you need to lick some wounds.

Holly Cole:
-Temptation
Holly Cole (vocals), Aaron Davis (piano) and David Piltch (acoustic bass+percussion) perform 17 pieces of Tom Waits. Not easy, but I like the result.

I have some more but no more time right now. Hopefully the one or the other will post here, too! This is not as scaring as some other watercooler themes B)
So far - take care :)
Caren
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users