• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Politics

#21 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-April-12, 03:02

In Europe, maybe except Spain, we don't have the problem. In USA the economy is concentrated in east coast states + California + Texas. If you take away the 2-3 states richest in population the average number of citizens in the rest are approx. 4 mill. Something like the danish population.

The states have each 2 senators. So the impact of my worries certainly depends very much of who have the right for initiatives and also the right to block. Supreme Court power is another kind of problem. The right to test legislation to constitution we have here in Germany and some other countries I think but not in Scandinavia. It is a disputed topic regarding European Union.

The problem regarding whether power has to follow line of population or something else is to come inside European Union. Here it will not be economy versus land but instead economy versus rural areas. A bit like USA but not with the same kind of disproportinality of land meassured on square-miles. I fear we are heading for the american kind of problems. In that respect the american debate might be of great importance to our future too.

#22 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-April-12, 03:18

In Britain, judges are appointed by other judges so they are very independant of the political system. On the other hand, certain trials can be appealed to the House of Commons.

Please please do not think for one minute that this is anything we are be proud of.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users