BBO Discussion Forums: Building a standard FD versions of systems - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Building a standard FD versions of systems BBO Ad & bacic, Precision, WJ2005, other

#21 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-September-25, 01:14

:)

someone is working on an ACOL basic;

good luck to he/she Acol means many things to many people

Weak NT Strong NT Mini NT Strong 2's Weak 2's

Just for starters see tony's missive above

Now if you want them all to play 'Shintaro' Acol

Weak NT Stayman Weak Take outs Strong 2's Mckenny discards Gerber Blackwood then that would be fine

should be fun

:)

#22 User is offline   skaftij 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Travel, Fishing

Posted 2008-October-03, 11:40

I have tried to modularize or FD card by taking conventions like Optional Roman Key Card out of the FD file and making a convention card out of it. This works well for bidding practice for me and PD. However, our opponents get a message with something like: "Error loading convention card".
I installed BBO on 4 computers. When I put the convention card in C:\BBO\Conventions everything worked. (My BBO location is C:\Program Files\user\Bridge Base Online)
Is there a way to overcome this ?
Skafti
If I have made this specific agreement, then I will keep the agreement.
A partner can convince me to play nearly anything, but if partner breaks agreements, then you will fairly fast reach the point, that I wont be interested in playing any longer. Stick to your agreements.
Marlowe (Uwe Gebhardt)

#23 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-October-03, 13:05

skaftij, on Oct 3 2008, 07:40 PM, said:

I have tried to modularize or FD card by taking conventions like Optional Roman Key Card out of the FD file and making a convention card out of it. This works well for bidding practice for me and PD. However, our opponents get a message with something like: "Error loading convention card".
I installed BBO on 4 computers. When I put the convention card in C:\BBO\Conventions everything worked. (My BBO location is C:\Program Files\user\Bridge Base Online)
Skafti

Mine have always been here and always worked perfect.

"C:\Bridge Base Online\convcards\csdenmark convcards"

Looks like you have installed BBO in a folder exclusively for yourself(user).

#24 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-03, 13:10

skaftij, on Oct 3 2008, 05:40 PM, said:

Skafti

It has been a while since I have worked on this, but I seem to recall that the "conventions" folder is only meant for files that BBO supplies. If you try to put your own files into this folder other users won't see those files.

Assuming I understand what you mean by "modularize", I don't think it is possible (though I could easily be wrong about this).

Sorry.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#25 User is offline   skaftij 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Travel, Fishing

Posted 2008-October-03, 13:46

Thanks for your replies. Yes, this is what I meant by modularizing. Perhaps someone can verify if this is supposed to be possible and if any special setup is needed?
I experienced a rather unfortunate side effect in that me and PD could see our cc but opps couldn't. Only when I "used" a new version of the cc, I was lucky that our opps got the error message and reported it. Now I have gone back to the old version. Pity
If I have made this specific agreement, then I will keep the agreement.
A partner can convince me to play nearly anything, but if partner breaks agreements, then you will fairly fast reach the point, that I wont be interested in playing any longer. Stick to your agreements.
Marlowe (Uwe Gebhardt)

#26 User is offline   Left2Right 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 11:12

FYI: If you are the daring type, you can bring up the FD file in a text editor, scroll to the bottom, and manually key the following record into it.

+convention_jacoby2nt.bss

This tells FD to include the file named "convention_jacoby2nt.bss" from the /conventions/ folder.
In this way it is at least conceivable to modularize your entire system.

ALERT: *Always* make a backup copy of the card you are about to work on. Reason: FD yields only one vanilla error message no matter what mistake you make and no matter how many or where.

-- Charles A. Lee

#27 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-October-30, 16:35

View PostLeft2Right, on 2010-October-30, 11:12, said:

FYI: If you are the daring type, you can bring up the FD file in a text editor, scroll to the bottom, and manually key the following record into it.

+convention_jacoby2nt.bss

This tells FD to include the file named "convention_jacoby2nt.bss" from the /conventions/ folder.
In this way it is at least conceivable to modularize your entire system.

This has been discussed and IIRC the problem was that these FD cards will only work properly if everyone has the convention_*.bss files on their computer. I'm not sure how the web client affects this.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#28 User is offline   thorvald 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-23, 16:01

For those having difficulties in reading a BSS-file I have created a onlæine version of the different systems on http://bidding.netbridge.dk
If you have a file and would like to see it this way you can mail it to me, or attach it to this thread, and I will convert it for you.

Thorvald
Thorvald Aagaard
Mobile : +45 22 99 55 25
http://www.netbridge.dk
http://www.thorvald.dk

#29 User is offline   P0STM0RTEM 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Walsh Diamond;
    Rule of 20+2;
    Bergen or Hardy Raises;
    Kokish Game Tries;
    Xfer Lebensohl;
    Inverted Minors;
    Gambling 3N;
    Ogust;
    Mini Roman 2D;
    Puppet Stayman over 2N's;
    Modified 2-way, Bart & Meckstroth Adjuncts,
    Wolff Signoff;
    Preemptive Suit Fits Raises;
    Namyats;
    Controls over 2C opener;
    Kickback (RKCB 1430 if strong hand asks and 0314 if weak asks), Specific King Ask, Exclusion Blackwood, DEPO, and I try to cue bid controls more often instead;
    Grand Slam Force;
    Lightner Double;
    Negative and TakeOut Doubles;
    Meckwell, HELLO or DONT Over Ops 1N;
    Over 1C strong (or 1D strong) I like using DONT, Suction, or Mathe;
    UDCA.

Posted 2015-August-09, 16:51

View Postbhtf, on 2005-November-29, 18:17, said:

the NYYYYY601, and others of same type can some of you give me the clues?

In case anyone today wants to make use of this old but still very useful technology here are the syntax rules for the .bss files:
There are 16 individual items (about 8 sections which I've color grouped) within each line of code that can be broken down as follows:
..001NP2C=YYYYYYYD08Non-Forcing Stayman Asking for a 4+Card Major, Generally 8+HC, but can be less when major oriented

Starting with UltraViolet (as in you can't see it) the code denotes which side and seat opens, the Vul, Auction to this point, if the last bid is natural, possible strains the contract is headed, the type of bid, the length of the suit bid and finally how you define the current call shown in Pink.

1).......Only if the opponents are first to make a non-pass call is an asterisk used
2).......Which seat Opened: 0=Any Seat; 1to4=that seat; 5=seats 1or2; 6=seats 3or4
3).......What is the Vul: 0=Any; 1=None; 2=V/N; 3=N/V; 4=Both; 5=:WeNV; 6=WeV; 7=TheyNV; 8=TheyV
4).......Auction without any initial Passes listed (eg if the ops Dealt and we opened 1N followed by Stayman it's just 1NP2C). {Captions} can be include after the last bid, but must be consistent throughout the rest of the auction for the sequence to group together
5).......The Equal Sign '=' which assigns a definition to this table setup and auction
6).......Binary answer to if the most recent bid is Artificial or not (Y/N)
7)-11)..Individual Binary answers to if final contract may end in one of these suit strains respectively (eg YYNYY would allow our side to play in anything besides Hearts as the order is NT)
12)......Binary answer to if they interfere whether we can allow them to play undoubled (Y/N)
13)......Disposition of the Bid: 0=No Agreement; 1=Signoff; 2=NonForcing; 3=Constructive; 4=Invitational; 5=Forcing (1 round); 6=Forcing to Game; 7=Slam Try; 8=Control Bid; 9=Preemptive; A=Transfer; B=Puppet; C=Relay; D=Asking Bid; E=Reply to Ask
14)-15) Minimum to Maximum Suit length in the current bid suit (even if it's showing another suit, thus for NT it's omitted) from 0-7 or 8 being Anything
16)......Your system explanation of the current bid in light of the Seats, Vul and Auction
Note:...There are no spaces conjoining the different sections, though they can appear in free text entries

The .bss files are just Notepad .txt files with an extension the BidEdit.exe program can read and delineate in the FDCC system. I recommend dumping the .txt files into excel and break out the components to build your CC. Thereafter a concatenated Excel column of these components can be pasted back into Notepad and saved as your .bss file.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want to try to pique my interest in a collaboration.

Thus the above would show a Game Forcing bid showing shortness, like a Splinter that's not artificial, though surprisingly allowing your side to play in that suit or any other strain or the ops in an undoubled contract.

One can be very generally with 002C=YYYYYYY60822+HC or be highly specific as well defining 2H based on different opening seats and vulnerability (overdone to get a point across about the possible variations):
....(1)..........(2)..........(3)..........(4)..........(5)..........(6)..........(7)..........(8)..........(9).........(10).........(11).........(12).........(13).........(14).........(15).........(16)
Off|Def?....Seat(s)....Vul.......Auction...Equals...Artificial....<..Our...Contract...Possible...Outcomes..( Yes / No )..>..BidType...< Bid Suit Length > Explanation
OpsOpen # or #'s..Color(s).....Bids.....Defining..Natural?......s?........s?........s?.......s?........NT?..DefendNoX. Disposition..Min #....Max #.....Meaning
=Asterisk 0-6..........0-8...1C-7N,PDR. = Sign.......Y/N.........Y/N........Y/N........Y/N.......Y/N........Y/N.........Y/N......0-9, A-E....0-7, Any...0-7, Any...Free Text
.................1............5............2H...........=............N............Y............Y............Y...........Y............Y............Y............9.............5............6............Aggressive: Generally 6!Hs, 5-11HC (Rarely with a void, side 4!Ss or good 5 card minor)
.................1............6............2H...........=............N............Y............Y............Y...........Y............Y............Y............9.............5............6............Tempered: Generally 6!Hs (2 of top 3 or 3 of top 5 honors), 5-11HC (Rarely with a void, side 4!Ss or good 5 card minor)
.................2............0............2H...........=............N............Y............Y............Y...........Y............Y............Y............9.............6............6............Sound: 6!Hs (2 of top 3 or 3 of top 5 honors), 5-11HC (Never with a void, side 4!Ss or good 5 card minor)
.................3............3............2H...........=............N............Y............Y............Y...........Y............Y............Y............9.............5............6............Shameless: 5-6!H's of any quality
.................3............5............2H...........=............N............Y............Y............Y...........Y............Y............Y............9.............5............6............Wild: Generally 6!Hs, 5-11HC
.................3............6............2H...........=............N............Y............Y............Y...........Y............Y............Y............9.............5............6............Boarderline: 5-6!H's,5-11HC (Generally a good lead director)
.................4............0............2H...........=............N............Y............Y............Y...........Y............Y............Y............3.............5............6............Obstructive: Good 6!Hs, 12-16HC
......*..........6............0...........1C2H........=............N............Y............N...___...Y...........Y............Y............Y............9.............6............6............Preemptive: 6!Hs, 5-9HC

Here's that grouping again merged together for use in a .bss file:
152H=NYYYYYY956Aggressive: Generally 6!Hs, 5-11HC (Rarely with a void, side 4!Ss or good 5 card minor)
162H=NYYYYYY956Tempered: Generally 6!Hs (2 of top 3 or 3 of top 5 honors), 5-11HC (Rarely with a void, side 4!Ss or good 5 card minor)
202H=NYYYYYY966Sound: 6!Hs (2 of top 3 or 3 of top 5 honors), 5-11HC (Never with a void, side 4!Ss or good 5 card minor)
332H=NYYYYYY956
352H=NYYYYYY956
362H=NYYYYYY956
402H=NYYYYYY356Obstructive: Good 6!Hs, 12-16HC
*601C2H=NYNYYYY966Preemptive: 6!Hs, 5-9HC

#30 User is offline   andytheend 

• Pip
  • Interests:system design

Posted 2015-September-24, 06:56

View PostP0STM0RTEM, on 2015-August-09, 16:51, said:

In case anyone today wants to make use of this old but still very useful technology here are the syntax rules for the .bss files:
There are 16 individual items (about 8 sections which I've color grouped) within each line of code that can be broken down as follows:
..001NP2C=YYYYYYYD08Non-Forcing Stayman Asking for a 4+Card Major, Generally 8+HC, but can be less when major oriented

I have developed a xlsm file to do this (supporting MS Office 2010+, not sure for 2007).
It should be especially useful for new system developer like me.
XLSM
The table part helps to compose the situation and description details.
The program also supports SYMMETRIC generation.
$S{[symmetric to seq]|[first subseq to continue]|[@-delimited replace find]|[@-delimited replace by]}
$A{[answer1]|[answer2]|...}
$R{[answer1 after #1 relay]|[answer2 after #1 relay]|...}

Currently nested use of these at the same line is not well supported yet.

At this file provided, 2 of my systems are written. You can feel the magic to write 300 lines for thousands of lines :rolleyes

#31 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2018-September-20, 18:41

I have created a number of FD Convention Cards for use with the Windows Version, but I have been unable to create a FD Card using bitedit and find a way to run it on the web version of BBO. There is one SAYC FD conv card that can be loaded in the web version but I find no way to modify it to my system.

Rather than create an FD Convention card that covers every bid in the system (standard and alertable), I would like to create an FD card that only alerts those bids that require an alert per ACBL standards (such as use of Puppet Stayman over 1NT opening bids. Using bitedit from the windows version I have been able to create such a FD Convention card but find no way to load that card for use in the web version of BBO.

I find the FD Convention cards that alert and "explain" every bid, standard or alertable, to be annoying during play. Bids that require alerts and explanations are infrequent in most systems. I also think an option to prevent partner from seeing the alerts and explanations would also be good. Many opps consider the FD alerts to be cheating and to a degree they are right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users