BBO Discussion Forums: Conventions playing against robots - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conventions playing against robots

#1 User is offline   cobbyco 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-08, 03:47

My wife and I are trying to practice by playing against each other with robots as partners but I can't find a way of setting the convention to ACOL, Which is what we play.

I think the system allows me to specify ACOL when playing with my wife as partner but there doesn't seem to be any way of changing it when we play against each other.

Am I missing something or is the system just limited when using robots?

Thx

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-08, 04:05

GIB only plays one system and it can't be customised. GIB opponents will assume you are playing their system as well.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-08, 13:45

There are much better bots out there; perhaps someone can advise how to play against them. Multiple requests to BBO for access to these bots on this site have fallen upon deaf ears. BBO’s market position, especially after acquiring Funbridge, means it doesn’t need to do anything to please its customers; BBO’s traditional base is made up of large numbers of people who don’t care. The fact that many of us who are forced online may become regular customers if improved playability were implemented does not seem important.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-08, 13:55

As smerriman says GIB plays only one system (its own version of 2/1 game forcing). If you want to practice bidding acol, I suggest you and your wife play as partners against 2 GIBs. You can bid acol even though the robots won't recognize many bids. For most hands, it won't make any difference if the robots think you are playing 2/1 GF, and you get to practice your bidding.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-08, 16:28

We've discussed internally switching to Argine, FunBridge's robot.

But adding a new bot is not trivial, there isn't a standard bot interface that allows them to be interchanged. So we'd need to develop code to make Argine look like GIB to all our bot-related software.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-May-08, 20:21

View Postbarmar, on 2020-May-08, 16:28, said:

We've discussed internally switching to Argine, FunBridge's robot.

But adding a new bot is not trivial, there isn't a standard bot interface that allows them to be interchanged. So we'd need to develop code to make Argine look like GIB to all our bot-related software.

Does Argine have customisable systems? Is it one of the best bots out there?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-09, 01:20

View PostVampyr, on 2020-May-08, 20:21, said:

Does Argine have customisable systems?

Yes.

The ability for the robot to play a weak no trump and four-card majors would be a big plus for EBU players.

name='Vampyr'[/size]]
Is it one of the best bots out there?

It is but with the current "very poor" robots scoring well above average in the EBU NGS ratings I wonder if everyone really wants a stronger robot?

How many partnerships will be broken by one player preferring a robot to their regular partner?

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-May-09, 03:43

View Postpaulg, on 2020-May-09, 01:20, said:

Yes.

The ability for the robot to play a weak no trump and four-card majors would be a big plus for EBU players.

It is but with the current "very poor" robots scoring well above average in the EBU NGS ratings I wonder if everyone really wants a stronger robot?

How many partnerships will be broken by one player preferring a robot to their regular partner?

LOL

My regular partner is pretty robotic.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users