BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#10041 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-May-04, 07:49

We will know a lot more about this country in 6 months.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10042 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-04, 09:11

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-04, 07:49, said:

Yes, we will. This inspired me to look up how my Representative, Jamie Raskin, is faring. Five Thirty Eight scores representatives on how often a member votes in line with Trump's position. Raskin's score is 9.1 %. Not quite the lowest score, but close to it. As far as I know, he will be re-elected. I'm fine with that, I voted for him both in the general election and in the (very expensive) primary, I will again, but probably some of my neighbors are not so happy about it. I live in one of those Congressional districts that are often cited when gerrymandering is discussed. I don't see us turning Red.
Ken

#10043 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-04, 09:46

If things go well with North Korea, I'll be willing to admit that this is a win in Trump's column.

I wonder if whatever agreement Mr "Art of the Deal" makes will have as many protections as the Iran deal that he claims is a disaster.

#10044 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-04, 10:41

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-04, 09:46, said:

If things go well with North Korea, I'll be willing to admit that this is a win in Trump's column.

I wonder if whatever agreement Mr "Art of the Deal" makes will have as many protections as the Iran deal that he claims is a disaster.

According to the Israelies Iran has not been abiding by the agreement any way.

#10045 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-04, 13:32

View Postldrews, on 2018-May-04, 10:41, said:

Among other people, noted "liberal" Pat Buchanan has other thoughts.

https://www.realclea...or_decades.html

but Netanyahu has serious support from John Bolton

https://www.nytimes....-bomb-iran.html

I suggest everybody chill out and listen to:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vZwDL3-Ze4w

Nothing says "Make America Great" more than starting another war that we can't win.

#10046 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-May-04, 14:25

View Postldrews, on 2018-May-04, 10:41, said:

According to the Israeli's, Iran was actively pursuing a nuclear program back in 2003
Almost no one disputes this.

Netanyahu claims that this means that the Iranians can't be trusted to abide by the current deal.
There is very little support for this contention.

https://www.newyorke...t-the-iran-deal

https://www.haaretz....-iran-1.5451124

Netanyahu and Lieberman’s position is at odds with most Israeli experts in Military Intelligence and in the IDF’s Planning Directorate, the Mossad, Foreign Ministry and the Atomic Energy Committee.

Alderaan delenda est

#10047 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-04, 15:27

View Postkenberg, on 2018-May-04, 09:11, said:

Yes, we will. This inspired me to look up how my Representative, Jamie Raskin, is faring. Five Thirty Eight scores representatives on how often a member votes in line with Trump's position. Raskin's score is 9.1 %. Not quite the lowest score, but close to it. As far as I know, he will be re-elected. I'm fine with that, I voted for him both in the general election and in the (very expensive) primary, I will again, but probably some of my neighbors are not so happy about it. I live in one of those Congressional districts that are often cited when gerrymandering is discussed. I don't see us turning Red.

Bloomberg is reporting this: https://www.bloomber...cratic-majority

House Speaker Paul Ryan warned that Democratic gains in November’s congressional elections could make it impossible to get anything accomplished and expose President Donald Trump’s administration to more aggressive oversight.

Should Republicans lose control of either the House or Senate, “you’ll have gridlock, you’ll have subpoenas,” with the whole legislative system “shutting down,” Ryan said Wednesday in Beverly Hills, California, at the annual Milken Institute Global Conference.

Not only will there be subpoenas, there will also be aggressive ethics oversight as well as emoluments oversight - all extremely ugly occurrences for the present administration.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10048 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-05, 20:08

This, from The Observer, is a damning report on how unscrupulous and relentless Donald Trump is in fighting to protect his delusions.

Aides to Donald Trump, the US president, hired an Israeli private intelligence agency to orchestrate a “dirty ops” campaign against key individuals from the Obama administration who helped negotiate the Iran nuclear deal, the Observer can reveal.

People in the Trump camp contacted private investigators in May last year to “get dirt” on Ben Rhodes, who had been one of Barack Obama’s top national security advisers, and Colin Kahl, deputy assistant to Obama, as part of an elaborate attempt to discredit the deal.

The extraordinary revelations come days before Trump’s 12 May deadline to either scrap or continue to abide by the international deal limiting Iran’s nuclear programme.

Trump’s dirty ops attack on Obama legacy shows pure hatred for Iran deal.

Jack Straw, who as foreign secretary was involved in earlier efforts to restrict Iranian weapons, said: “These are extraordinary and appalling allegations but which also illustrate a high level of desperation by Trump and [the Israeli prime minister] Benjamin Netanyahu, not so much to discredit the deal but to undermine those around it.”

One former high-ranking British diplomat with wide experience of negotiating international peace agreements, requesting anonymity, said: “It’s bloody outrageous to do this. The whole point of negotiations is to not play dirty tricks like this.”

Sources said that officials linked to Trump’s team contacted investigators days after Trump visited Tel Aviv a year ago, his first foreign tour as US president. Trump promised Netanyahu that Iran would never have nuclear weapons and suggested that the Iranians thought they could “do what they want” since negotiating the nuclear deal in 2015. A source with details of the “dirty tricks campaign” said: “The idea was that people acting for Trump would discredit those who were pivotal in selling the deal, making it easier to pull out of it.”

#10049 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 01:09

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-04, 07:49, said:

http://thehill.com/p...olicy-bill-bill

Dennison and the Republicans are trying to keep America safe by proposing a military parade along the lines of military parade in France for Bastille day that captured Dennison's attention for months. I feel safer already.

Cost and redeployment of equipment could be a drawback. Let me be the first to suggest that Comrade Dennison ask his good buddy Comrade Putin for the appropriate aid. Let me be clear, I am not suggesting collusion B-) which never happened and if it did happen was completely by accident.

#10050 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-May-07, 09:02

View Postjohnu, on 2018-May-06, 01:09, said:

Dennison and the Republicans are trying to keep America safe by proposing a military parade along the lines of military parade in France for Bastille day that captured Dennison's attention for months. I feel safer already.

Bill Maher has a checklist of 10 indicators that your leader is a dictator. The military parade, if it happens, would make it 9 out of 10 for Trump (the remaining one would be wearing a military uniform).

#10051 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-07, 09:06

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-05, 20:08, said:

This, from The Observer, is a damning report on how unscrupulous and relentless Donald Trump is in fighting to protect his delusions.

Update and correction from the New Yorker by way of The Daily Beast: (emphasis added)

The secretive Israeli intelligence firm reportedly once enlisted by disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein to dig up dirt on his accusers also targeted aides to former President Barack Obama in an attempt to undermine the Iran nuclear deal, according to documents obtained by The New Yorker. The documents come after a weekend story by The Observer, which reported that aides to President Trump had hired a private Israeli intelligence firm in an attempt to discredit the previous administration’s advocacy of the Iran nuclear accord. The New Yorker’s Ronan Farrow reports that the firm in question is, indeed, Black Cube—the entity used by Weinstein. But he cites a source saying the work was not done at the behest of the Trump administration but, rather, for “a private-sector client pursuing commercial interests related to sanctions on Iran.”

#10052 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-May-07, 09:11

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-07, 09:06, said:

The New Yorker’s Ronan Farrow reports that the firm in question is, indeed, Black Cube—the entity used by Weinstein. But he cites a source saying the work was not done at the behest of the Trump administration but, rather, for “a private-sector client pursuing commercial interests related to sanctions on Iran.”

Sheldon Adelson
Alderaan delenda est

#10053 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-07, 09:35

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-May-07, 09:11, said:

Sheldon Adelson

Thanks.
That makes one wonder if the reporters at the Observer and the New Yorker hold two different pieces of the same puzzle.

#10054 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-07, 09:38

This, from Politico, should chill you to the bone as an American. (ehphasis added)

Their emergence underscores a reality of the Trump era: power and prominence on Capitol Hill these days often flow not to the most senior lawmakers but to Republicans who display allegiance to a president who prizes loyalty. None of the four holds a powerful committee chairmanship, but they have something just as important: regular airtime on Fox News. And their pressure campaign against the Justice Department and FBI has put Mueller’s boss, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein on the defensive.

#10055 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-07, 11:20

Twitter:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The 13 Angry Democrats in charge of the Russian Witch Hunt are starting to find out that there is a Court System in place that actually protects people from injustice...and just wait ‘till the Courts get to see your unrevealed Conflicts of Interest!

6:39 AM - May 7, 2018
34.2K people are talking about this

If there truly are 80-90% of Republicans and upwards of 60 million people in the U.S. who still support this guy, then, as a country, we are in a much more precarious position regarding continued democracy than I ever imagined was possible to reach in many lifetimes.

We can only hope this cabal will be shattered into thousands of pieces in November.

#10056 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-08, 05:36

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-07, 09:38, said:

This, from Politico, should chill you to the bone as an American. (ehphasis added)

As it has been (Starr, Cox etc.) so shall it be. Part of the underbelly of your system.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10057 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-08, 08:13

Nice job of draining the swamp.

Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor of The Nation, writing in WaPo:

“At least 187 Trump political appointees have been federal lobbyists, and . . . many are now overseeing the industries they once lobbied on behalf of. We’ve also discovered ethics waivers that allow Trump staffers to work on subjects in which they have financial conflicts of interest.”

https://www.washingt...m=.5d4c8f457aee

#10058 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-08, 08:27

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2018-May-08, 05:36, said:

As it has been (Starr, Cox etc.) so shall it be. Part of the underbelly of your system.

Nixon was a little like this. No one else in modern times has come close to the total disregard for American values and total demand for personal loyalty other than in the crime families.

#10059 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-May-08, 09:55

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-08, 08:27, said:

Nixon was a little like this. No one else in modern times has come close to the total disregard for American values and total demand for personal loyalty other than in the crime families.

And every time someone mentions the possibility of Trump firing Mueller or Rosenstein, someone mentions parallels to the Saturday Night Massacre.

Nixon at least had the advantage of being a career politician. Aside from his illegal activities, he at least seemed to understand what the job of POTUS entailed, and how to navigate the DC system.

#10060 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-08, 10:19

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-08, 09:55, said:

And every time someone mentions the possibility of Trump firing Mueller or Rosenstein, someone mentions parallels to the Saturday Night Massacre.

Nixon at least had the advantage of being a career politician. Aside from his illegal activities, he at least seemed to understand what the job of POTUS entailed, and how to navigate the DC system.

With the moniker "Tricky Dick" the surprise was his straying into detente and subsequent conflict with the deep state and their objectives (Slick Willie, Frat boy (W) et al notwithstanding.) Trump is likely the exemplar of crony (toady?) PALitics but what happens in Washington rarely stays there.....a neverending story.;)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

86 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 86 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google