• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EU Brexit thread

#301 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-24, 03:35

View Postonoway, on 2016-June-24, 00:15, said:

Sounds a bit as though someone should have told Cameron not to ask the question unless he would be content with whatever the answer was. Apparently he also didn't think it would happen.

Classic policy-making. Someone says something they have not really thought through to get themselves out of a political difficulty, and finds years later that they have changed the world....

#302 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-June-24, 03:47

View Postshyams, on 2016-June-23, 19:12, said:

GBP:USD at 1.41 (vs. 1.50 at 10:30pm last night). It's probably going to get much worse in the next couple of hours.

Not going to be a good day for the market... Lets hope that the damage is limited to the FTSE.
***** Brits.
Alderaan delenda est

#303 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 04:21

View Postshyams, on 2016-June-23, 18:26, said:

If this goes bad, I blame the Labour Leadership!

It went very well, but the Labour leader has said the voters' decision should be respected and he will work to achieve it. Perhaps it's about time he stood up for his beliefs and changed the parliamentary party's policies to be more in line with its key voters - who overwhelmingly are in favour of leaving the EU and abandoning nuclear weapons. I expect the blairites will call for a change of leadership, but I hope the party calls for a change of parliamentarians.

#304 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 04:35

Interestingly the ONLY region in the whole of England and Wales that voted for remain was London. ALL the rest of the country's regions voted to leave.

Londoners have I suppose seen their house prices increase with all the immigration, and a good proportion of them work for financial institutions and other parasites.

The rest of the country has suffered, with jobs, housing, social services going to immigrants, and the EU is intent on the suffering increasing. When Cameron said he was going to make the North-East the powerhouse of England, perhaps he meant the poorhouse.

Scotland and northern Ireland voted to remain, but now England is leaving perhaps their independence parties will get more active.

#305 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 04:38

When the early voting results were coming in, I was thinking that if Sunderland was going to leave the EU I might have to move to Sunderland. Thank God I now don't have to. :)

#306 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 04:54

yes, congratulations, you've made an economic black hole on your own doorstep

#307 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 04:58

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-June-24, 04:35, said:

Londoners have I suppose seen their house prices increase with all the immigration, and a good proportion of them work for financial institutions and other parasites.

those parasites subsidise the craphole which is the rest of the country.

no, i don't work there.

#308 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 05:29

Can $ was slightly above parity with US$ a short couple of years ago. We are now at 0.78 or so. Only difference is slightly more expensive fruit and veg prices (a lot come from the US). Export markets are livelier and industry is slightly better off (especially since our GST replaced the manufacturer's sales tax back in the 90's).

Britain has a challenge ahead to regain stability but that is likely more in terms of confidence building than any real change to their political/social/industrial status.

Catastrophists can't help themselves. They love to see (or imagine) a car crash...
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#309 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 05:35

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-June-24, 04:21, said:

It went very well, but the Labour leader has said the voters' decision should be respected and he will work to achieve it. Perhaps it's about time he stood up for his beliefs and changed the parliamentary party's policies to be more in line with its key voters - who overwhelmingly are in favour of leaving the EU and abandoning nuclear weapons. I expect the blairites will call for a change of leadership, but I hope the party calls for a change of parliamentarians.

I look at the past Labour leadership, who when there was a new treaty that should have triggered a referendum, did what they normally do, get some dodgy legal advice to back their position from a tame lawyer rather than face something awkward. They'd have won a referendum then, and we wouldn't have needed this one.

#310 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-June-24, 05:39

This is another in a long list of events that have unfolded something like this:

1. A lot of 'news' stories explain what is going to happen or what is very likely to happen.

2. It does not happen.

3. A lot of 'news' stories expressing shock about what did not happen.

This probably belongs in the pet peeve thread, but this cycle of failure never ceases to irritate me. It doesn't bother me (in fact it's worth a chuckle) when posters say things like "Trump will never win the nomination," because there's no expectation that a poster has any clue about what will happen.

But I'd like the news organizations to be a lot more professional...
B-)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#311 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-June-24, 05:41

Posted Image
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#312 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-June-24, 05:53

Euro stock markets are still down (as are the Far East) but less so than an hour ago.

"Much ado about nothing" .... according to the Bard. ;)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#313 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-June-24, 06:28

If the dollar stays at a 30 year high to the pound it sounds like a good time to buy and visit the British Isle.

#314 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2016-June-24, 06:42

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-June-24, 05:39, said:

This is another in a long list of events that have unfolded something like this:

1. A lot of 'news' stories explain what is going to happen or what is very likely to happen.

2. It does not happen.

This probably belongs in the pet peeve thread, but this cycle of failure never ceases to irritate me. It doesn't bother me (in fact it's worth a chuckle) when posters say things like "Trump will never win the nomination," because there's no expectation that a poster has any clue about what will happen.

B-)

I understand Trump's appeal to his core constituency. But I never thought that constituency was big enough for him to win.

I understand the appeal of Brexit to people who feel threatened, with some justification, by immigration, expanded trade and the changes to legal systems that are increasingly part of new trade deals. But I never thought this appeal was big enough for Brexit to win.

I understand Bernie Sanders' appeal to his constituency. A lot of his ideas appeal to me and I hope they get traction with more people over time. I thought he might win Iowa and New Hampshire and that would be it for him.

I read the paper (NYT and WSJ), a few progressive blogs and some water cooler threads (not nearly enough bridge which shows in my game). I also read the NY Review of Books which has an interesting story recently about why Trump's nomination was inevitable. :)

News organizations are definitely out of touch with Trump, Sanders and Brexit supporters relative to other constituencies. Maybe this is explained by mgoetze's post. IMO, they are also part of an echo chamber feedback loop that seems to be a factor. Facts and solid reporting aren't as important to news organizations as click counts.

David Brooks has been on the road trying to get in touch with "real people". Perhaps he'll start something. He's a good test case. I think he may need more than a few road trips but at least he's trying. I don't know how much of this cherdano has gotten right. He got Trump right from the beginning. He definitely has a way of looking at things from different points of view and less reflexively than I do or than 90+ percent of the media do. Maybe he should start blogging at vox or 538.

By the way, I'm betting big on Hillary. If my track record is any indication, this might be the time to start looking at property in Costa Rica or Canada.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#315 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-24, 06:51

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-June-24, 05:39, said:

2. It does not happen.

B-)

I think it unfair to call them "news organizations". They are tattlers and repeaters but certainly not information gatherers.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#316 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-June-24, 07:01

As I mentioned in my posts, those who posted or wanted to remain seem to discuss the issue in terms of money and with a lack of passion or sense of duty or loyalty to Brussels. One exception was Boris Johnson's father who this morning seemed to talk of Europe and Brussels with true passion and love. He seems to me to be the exception among the Remain voters.

OTOH those who were for Exit seemed at the very least very angry and full of resentment towards Brussels and the distant power and control it represented.

#317 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 08:00

View Postmike777, on 2016-June-24, 06:28, said:

If the dollar stays at a 30 year high to the pound it sounds like a good time to buy and visit the British Isle.

If we give you a visa ...

#318 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 08:06

FTSE now back to where it was 3 days ago. What a huge catastrophe.
The only people to lose are the gamblers and manipulators.

#319 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 08:08

So now is the time I shall find out if the French refuse to sell me their cheese or wines, or if Slovakia refuses to sell me their cars. Somehow I doubt it.

#320 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-June-24, 08:33

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-June-24, 08:08, said:

So now is the time I shall find out if the French refuse to sell me their cheese or wines, or if Slovakia refuses to sell me their cars. Somehow I doubt it.

The question was never whether you would be able to buy those, only how much you would have to pay.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users