BBO Discussion Forums: I know there are lots of resources online to test your bridge skills and to learn about bidding, declarer play, and defence, but I also appreciate som - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I know there are lots of resources online to test your bridge skills and to learn about bidding, declarer play, and defence, but I also appreciate som

#1 User is offline   luke_r 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-02, 12:47

I know there are lots of resources online to test your bridge skills and to learn about bidding, declarer play, and defence, but I also appreciate some historical examples.

Does anyone know of archives of old newspaper bridge columns and puzzles? I remember seeing them as a kid before I learned to play and would love to dig some up.

I'm especially interested in very old ones, from mid-20th century or older, if anyone knows anything about that.

Thanks, and let me know if another sub-forum would be more appropriate!

(a quick google search on my part came up empty, will put more work in but wanted to check)

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-02, 13:30

View Postluke_r, on 2020-October-02, 12:47, said:

I know there are lots of resources online to test your bridge skills and to learn about bidding, declarer play, and defence, but I also appreciate some historical examples.

Does anyone know of archives of old newspaper bridge columns and puzzles? I remember seeing them as a kid before I learned to play and would love to dig some up.

I'm especially interested in very old ones, from mid-20th century or older, if anyone knows anything about that.

Thanks, and let me know if another sub-forum would be more appropriate!

(a quick google search on my part came up empty, will put more work in but wanted to check)

I assume you are looking for articles in English.
I understand that the prestigious US magazine 'The Bridge World' has an archive available online, if you subscribe, not sure how far back it goes.

#3 User is offline   luke_r 

• Pip

Posted 2020-October-02, 14:09

View Postpescetom, on 2020-October-02, 13:30, said:

I assume you are looking for articles in English.
I understand that the prestigious US magazine 'The Bridge World' has an archive available online, if you subscribe, not sure how far back it goes.

Yep, English. Not just articles but also puzzles syndicated to newspapers.

Thanks the Bridge World archive is a great resource. They allow back orders into the 1950s so I assume some if not all of that is digitized.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 14:37

I have also often found interesting old US newspaper articles online when following up from wikipedia, which is in itself another good source.

My favourites are older editions of the Italian 'Bridge d'Italia' magazine, which is down to a yearly edition now but still enlightening reading if you can handle the language including bridge jargon. Unfortunately I have few editions older than the last decade.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 18:02

I would be very interested in an archive of 70s and 80s Zia Mahmood articles if they can be found anywhere. They were always great entertainment as well as wonderfully informative for me when learning bridge many years ago :)

PS Can I also add this wins the prize for the longest ever thread title as far as I can see :)

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-03, 05:08

Bridge Without Sam
Pavlicek columns
Pavlicek articles

There used to be an excellent series of UK articles online, I think under the heading of "Realpoor bridge", but it looks like the site has been taken down. There are also some magazines, such as The Bridge World, that offer back issues at a certain cost. I am not sure whether that is of interest to you or if you are only looking for free resources.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-October-03, 07:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-October-03, 05:08, said:

Bridge Without Sam
Pavlicek columns
Pavlicek articles

There used to be an excellent series of UK articles online, I think under the heading of "Realpoor bridge", but it looks like the site has been taken down. There are also some magazines, such as The Bridge World, that offer back issues at a certain cost. I am not sure whether that is of interest to you or if you are only looking for free resources.

If you're thinking of PoorBridge it's still there.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-04, 18:25

View PostPeterAlan, on 2020-October-03, 07:10, said:

That might well be the site I was thinking of but I can see that many of the articles I was thinking of are not there, so there is either another site or those articles were removed.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#9 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-October-05, 02:44

View PostPeterAlan, on 2020-October-03, 07:10, said:

That site is more for entertainment than instruction, the last hand on this page is spectacular, brilliant* defence committed without realising it.

http://www.poorbridge.com/?cotm=9

*Brilliant relative to my ability, probably routine for many on here.

#10 User is offline   luke_r 

• Pip

Posted 2020-October-05, 17:09

View Postthepossum, on 2020-October-02, 18:02, said:

I would be very interested in an archive of 70s and 80s Zia Mahmood articles if they can be found anywhere. They were always great entertainment as well as wonderfully informative for me when learning bridge many years ago :)

PS Can I also add this wins the prize for the longest ever thread title as far as I can see :)

Ugh I must have just missed the title option when posting and now I can't see how to edit it :( for shame.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users